Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Physical Writing Process [Pt. 5: James Joyce & Jorge Luis Borges – Writing With Eye Trouble]


I have the impression that the most iconic images of James Joyce are those in which he's wearing an eye-patch, and the reason he’s wearing it is because he suffered from eye problems his entire life (iritis, conjunctivitis, glaucoma, episcleritis, synechia, and cataracts), which became worse as he got older. During the time he was living in Zurich he had to undergo several operations on his eyes, and for years he was almost completely blind. People close to the author and his works at the time have related stories about he coped with this. Joyce (of course) wasn’t going to let anything get in the way of his writing, so he took to writing with a red crayon on massive sheets of white paper. I haven’t seen any facsimiles of these manuscripts, but I like knowing that he was able to continue his writing in this fashion.



[This is only my creation of what I imagine some of Joyce's manuscripts may have looked like. Reading Joyce makes me think that I have an idea of the sorts of wordplay that must be going on when I’m reading someone like Witold Gombrowicz in translation and the translator says that the jokes in certain passages are untranslatable.]

In correspondence with his patron Harriet Weaver, Joyce wrote, "In spite of my eye attack I got on with another passage by using a charcoil pencil (fusain) which broke every three minutes and a large sheet of paper. I have now covered various large sheets in a handwriting resembling that of the late Napoleon Bonaparte when irritated by reverses." Some reports say that he was using charcoal on sheets of butcher’s paper. By his own words, it sounds like it was quite a struggle – not nearly as convenient as if he could have just written with a normal pen or typed it up.

Borges


Another great writer who went blind later in his life was Jorge Luis Borges. I love the passage in his short story “The Other” when the older Borges explains what it is like to go blind to his younger counterpart:

“When you reach my age, you’ll have almost totally lost your eye-sight. You’ll be able to see the color yellow, and light and shadow. But don’t worry. Gradual blindness is not tragic. It’s like the slowly growing darkness of a summer evening.”

That always resonates with me as a beautiful metaphor for losing one’s eyesight - something that people usually think of as anything but beautiful. I don’t know much about how Borges managed his reading and writing as he lost his eyesight, but he did have people who would assist him, including his mother who lived to be 99. It sounded to me like he would dictate what he wanted to write and manage to continue his literary work in this fashion. If anyone out there reading this has more to input about Joyce or Borges' writing habits, I'd appreciate the input!

I'll be back on June 5th with the final entry in this series.

P.S. In case you didn't hear about it, James Joyce was in the news recently in a story involving a synthetic cell's DNA and copyright law: "James Joyce's Words Come to Life and are Promptly Desecrated."




22 comments:

  1. If possible, I'd like to know where you got Joyce's eye problems info from. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only noticed this comment now. I didn't save my sources from when I wrote this, but the quote from Joyce can be found here: http://www.antwerpjamesjoycecenter.com/GJS4/GJS4%20Van%20Herbruggen.htm

    This book "Dear Yeats, Dear Pound, Dear Ford: Jeanne Robert Foster and Her Circle of Friends" by Richard Londraville and Janis Londraville mentions his use of butcher's paper: https://books.google.com/books?id=VvNRN4uV9PYC&pg=PA188&dq=%22James+Joyce%22+butcher+paper&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oOTWVK-OH4OXgwS3qoPgAw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22James%20Joyce%22%20butcher%20paper&f=false

    Also, here's a New York Times article that mentions him writing on big white sheets of paper with red crayon: http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/bday/0202.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing letter is basic skill which is used in business, school and personal relations. It is the channel to communicate with dear ones to share feelings, opinions and ideas about different aspects of life.writing training manual

    ReplyDelete
  4. From this article I can say that you are a good article writer. You are doing great job. Here are the accounting statement of purpose. Thank you so much for this great job. I want see your next post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To think differently is not the simple thing. You can develop your own ideas and thoughts according to which you can lead the whole world. Just take a long breath and start writing a college admission letter for your work and give the illumination to the other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very impressive article I have comment this post before. I just come back to thank you. Can you tell me something about personal statement for fellowship application. I want to know. Once again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am searching for this topic because it is my next project. The key points that you discuss in this article are helpful with thesis in investment and I am looking forward to knowing about the use of the written word. I am sure with the help of this article I will successful in writing the good book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may noticed that some people always ask other people where to find trusted writing services for easy completion of assignments and presentation. So useful link helps you to write all your important points in effective way and present in understandable manner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In case you are thinking about hiring a ghost writer, they're not tough to seek out. A quick Google search can give a roster of talented scribes into your town. Or, consider calling a local writer's group or some professional authors' institution. click to explore that will help you more to know about the academic papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so important suggestion for me. Because I’m looking for this and also trying to do this. Here I get this. Really very good for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you're considering employing the ghosting author, they are not really difficult to search out. A fast Search engines research can provide the roster associated with gifted scribes in to your own city explore more think about phoning an area writer's team or even a few expert authors' organization.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate their ideas. Physical abuse, abuse involving contact intended to cause feelings of intimidation, injury, or other physical suffering or bodily harm. Also you can use our services https://www.writingaresearchproposal.com/selecting-research-proposal-topics/. This is very good article about Physical writing process. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. These questions are related to the physics and the people who love in physics can give the accurate answers. It was the time when I love this subject but unfortunately I changed my subject due to some reason. This is the good exercise for the physics students and you just visit this http://www.businessproposalletter.net/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really interesting specially for those who are worried about their eye problems. The writing help can be available from site like https://www.writingaresearchproposal.com/selecting-research-proposal-topics/ but for such type of issue this post is really good.I have not thought before that any post can be available on this issue or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joseph is talk about the physical writing process. This process is very helpful and interesting. I need finance homework help urgently. I am waiting for your kind reply.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blog post provide so many informative things about content paraphrase and also very good site. But one of the most important thing is grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The student did not care about the handwriting and in my view writing tell about your character. The physical writing process is so good. That statement of purpose biology help with writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is quite a good blog.Are you also searching for DNP Capstone Project help? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering nursing writing services to students without having to break the bank.

    ReplyDelete