Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Great New York City Bookstore Tour - Part 1


A mysterious scroll arrived one St. Patrick's Day.

I unfurled it to see this:

New York City Bookstore Tour

My wife was taking me on The Great New York City Bookstore Tour, having hand-selected the bookstores that she thought would be most to my liking.

First stop:

192 Books - New York City Bookstore Tour
 This one room bookstore was neat and organized but held a deceptively large amount of books. Of particular interest to me were the many works in translation.

--

On the day we went, Left Bank Books had a sign that read "Closed for Spring Cleaning." However, I had been there once before, when I attended the Gay Pride Parade in 2010. They have an impressive collection of signed and first edition books.
The Waste Land signed by T.S. Eliot stands out here.

--

The Strand's Rare Book Room
A first edition of Desolation Angels by Jack Kerouac
--

"In response to those recently leaving with books without paying for them, otherwise known as 'stealing' . . . Can you not see that we are your friend?" 

And the rest of Chelsea Market is cool:
--


McNally Jackson has an Espresso Book Machine to print out books on demand: 

They also have one of the most inspiring bathrooms you can find:
--




This corridor of books stretches into their backyard.

--
You can only do so much in a day, so I have to hope that the other bookstores will still be there when I return.

-this took place in 2015

2 comments: